A Pinterest disaster that I somehow managed to save and turn into a totally tasty treat.
Have you ever just felt the random itch to get up and cook something? You want to cook, but you don’t want to go to the grocery store. So, you spend 25 minutes comparing your pantry to recipes on Pinterest and finally find one. Yes! Do a little dance and get to business. A few ingredients in you start to understand why the other 3 similar recipes called for coconut cream. Insert eye roll.
Frustrated with hands covered in honey, coconut oil, and coconut flakes you realize that this recipe is a total flop. Well, what now? You don’t want to be wasteful by throw away the ingredients and you have a craving you’ve got to satisfy. Think, think, think!
That’s exactly how I ended up making these completely awesome no-bake oatmeal cups. My intention was to make copycat almond joys, but only a few of those turned out. No worries though, an old oatmeal bar recipe popped into my head and saved the day!
Salty and sweet, if you like coconut and chocolate you’ll love these oat cups. I hope you enjoy this tasty mistake as much as I did. Happy cooking!
- 3 c Rolled oats
- 1/2 c Brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c butter
- 1 c Semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 c Honey
- !/4 c Coconut oil (room temp)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 1/2 c Coconut flakes
- Pulse the coconut in a food processor until sticky crumbs form.
- Mix the coconut oil, honey, vanilla, and sea salt. Stir in the coconut from step one and set aside
- Next melt butter in a sauce pan with the vanilla. Stir in the brown sugar until it is dissolved. Then mix in oats, cinnamon, and sea salt. Stirring for 3-4 minutes then turn off heat.
- While oat mixture cools, line a cup cake pan with paper liners. Melt chocolate chips by dutch oven on the stove top or in microwave (which ever you prefer) being careful not to burn. When chocolate is melted turn off heat and set aside.
- Return to cup cake pan and fill each about half way full with oat mixture. Using a small spoon spread a thin layer of the melted chocolate. Then gently pack the coconut mixture on top.
- When tray is full place in freezer for 20 minutes to cool. Leave on counter to cool for 10 minutes before serving.